Read the early ’70s Tomorrowland Handbook from Walt Disney Wolrd
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network and Amazon.com.
I can’t remember where I got this document — it might have been on eBay or perhaps at a Disneyanna sale a number of years ago. Whenever it was, it was long enough ago that I had totally forgotten about it until I found it this week at the bottom of a bin.
Based on the fact that the document constantly refer to things as “coming in 1972,” they have to date from at least a year or two prior, most likely 1970, given some of the remarkable things stated that don’t come to pass at the Magic Kingdom, including:
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea being part of Tomorrowland
- The Autopia renamed “The Grand Prix” but not sponsored by Goodyear
- Goodyear sponsoring a climate controlled version of the PeopleMover
- A Tomorrowland station for the Walt Disney World railroad
- A notation that the Frontierland railroad station will eventually open, which it did in May 1972.
I have to way to verify the validity of the document or its source. It does seem consistent with Cast Member training materials produced at the time. If anyone has any insight into this, please leave a comment!